Free Web Hosting Provider - Web Hosting - E-commerce - High Speed Internet - Free Web Page
Search the Web

Steve "Shorty" Malcolm

February 5,1970 - January 28, 2001 (R.I.P)

Steve Malcolm of Seba United Football Club and the Jamaica national football team continued to play a vital role as a hard-running defender. He was a player who gave 100 percent whenever he played. The diminutive 29-year-old had 90 caps after making his debut in 1995 and has scored 3 international goals. Height: 64 metres. Debut 1995

Player Profile
#2 Steve Malcolm
Position: Midfielder
Born: 02/05/70
Height: 5-4


Under-23: 4
Under-20: 4
BEST GOAL SCORES FOR JAMAICA: vs St. Vincent in CONCACAF World Cup Qualifying Round in Kingston 1996.
MOST MEMORABLE GAME: vs Mexico in 1996 at National Stadium
FAVOURITE FOOTBALL PERSONALITY (International): Carlos Dunga (Brazil)
FAVOURITE JAMAICAN PERSONS: Victoria Williams (Mother)

Insert Another Sub Header Here
Insert descriptive text which supports the above header. Insert descriptive text which supports the above header.
Insert descriptive text which supports the above header. Insert descriptive text which supports the above header.

Insert Another Sub Header Here
Insert descriptive text which supports the above header. Insert descriptive text which supports the above header.
Insert descriptive text which supports the above header. Insert descriptive text which supports the above header.

Insert Another Sub Header Here
Insert descriptive text which supports the above header. Insert descriptive text which supports the above header.
Insert descriptive text which supports the above header. Insert descriptive text which supports the above header.

The following is a newspaper article as it appeared in the Jamaica Observer
Shorty Malcolm is Dead

Jamaica's national footballer, Steve Malcolm, was killed in a traffic accident last night, only hours after he turned out for the Reggae Boyz in their friendly international against Bulgaria at the National Stadium. MALCOLM...had 91 caps
Malcolm, popularly known as "Shorty", would have been 30 on February 5.
Another Jamaican international, Theodore Whitmore, and travelling companion, Charles Ewan, were injured in the accident at Spring Hill, near Falmouth, Trelawny. stable condition
Whitmore and Ewan were admitted to the Falmouth Hospital and were reported at late night to be in a stable condition. The trio were on their way to Montego Bay after the Jamaica/Bulgaria match, in a 1993 Toyota Grande when the accident occurred at about 9:35 pm. Police said that the car's rear right tyre blew out.
The driver apparently lost control of the vehicle, which hit an embankment and overturned. It wasn't clear last night if anyone else was in the car, or who was driving. It was the second time that Malcolm and Whitmore were involved in a car crash in Trelawny. In 1998 Malcolm and Whitmore were on their way to Kingston with then national football team captain, Warren Barrett and defender, Durrent Brown when the car in which they were travelling collided with another vehicle. Brown spent several days in hospital, but the others suffered only minor injuries.
Malcolm's death shocked the footballing fraternity, ignited an outpouring of sympathy and caused Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) president, Horace Burrell, general secretary, Horace Reid and technical director, Clovis de Oliveira, who were about to board a plane for London when they heard the news, to abort their travel plans. "I am really in shock and deeply saddened by the news of Shorty's death and the injury to Whitmore and the other gentleman," said sports minister, Portia Simpson Miller, who attended last night's match and, in customary style, embraced Jamaican team members, including Malcolm. "I got my embrace from Shorty and never imagined that it would be the last or that I would never speak to him again," added Simpson Miller. "The Reggae Boyz are not just players to me, they are like sons." The sport minister, expressed "deepest condolences" to Malcolm's family, friends, team members at the national level and his Montego Bay club, Seba United and hoped for a speedy recovery of Whitmore, who also plays for the English Division Three club, Hull City, as well as Ewan. Malcolm, a defensive mid-fielder, was capped 91 times for Jamaica, including last night's outing when he was called into the match in the 71st minute to replace Darryl Powell.
He won his first cap in 1995 under former technical director Rene Simoes, and like his teammate, Whitmore often played when Jamaica reached the final 32 of the 1998 World Cup in France. "I really don't know what to say," JFF's Reid told the Observer last night. " This is not the kind of news you prepare yourself for. The last couple of weeks he was so happy. He is one of the leaders of the group, a foundation man." The flight which the JFF officials were to board also had booked on it several of Malcolm's Jamaica team members who were returning to England for club duties:* Powell and Deon Burton of Derby County;* Jamie Lawrence of Bradford; and* Ricardo Fuller, who is to join the staff of Charlton Athletic. "We had a tough time getting the other players to board the flight because they wanted to stay back and mourn with the other Reggae Boyz," said Reid. "At this time all we can do is ask the good Lord to be with the family and loved-ones. It must be very tough for his family at this moment. He was a champion." Added Burrell: "He gave 100 per cent at all times. Whenever you needed a player who could stick on an opponent, to remain, to close-mark another player you could always rely on 'Shorty'. He would give it his all." de Oliveira, brought close to tears by Malcolm's death, said: "This is a terrible thing to happen. I am dead."

Copyright ©1996-2000 The Jamaica Observer Ltd,2 Fagan Avenue, Kingston 8, Jamaica. All rights reserved.

The following is an article as it appeared in the The Daily Gleaner
Reggae Boy killed in crash
By Noel Thompson and Adrian Frater, Staff Reporters

POPULAR FOOTBALLER and member of the Reggae Boyz team - Stephen "Shorty" Malcolm is dead.
Malcolm who would have celebrated his 31st birthday next Monday was killed in a car crash along the Spring Hill main road in Trelawny last night. Another Reggae Boy, Theodore Whitmore of English Division 3 team Hull City and a friend of the two players, Charles Hewan, were hospitalised.
The Duncans Police confirmed that Malcolm, Whitmore and a third person were returning from the friendly international football match between Jamaica and Bulgaria at the National Stadium in Kingston.
Police say that Whitmore was driving his white Mark II car when on reaching a section of the Spring Hill main road near Duncans, the right rear wheel blew out. Whitmore lost control of the car. It climbed the left embankment and skidded about three chains then overturned. The top of the vehicle caved-in onto the seats.
While the men were being removed from the mangled wreckage by passing motorists, it was discovered that Malcolm's head had been bashed in. He died on the spot. Hewan and Whitmore were said to be in stable condition, but were obviously terribly shaken up, police say.
Malcolm came to prominence in the early 1980s when he captained the Rusea's High School to success in the daCosta Cup competition. After leaving school he was a member of the Seba United Craven 'A' National Premier League team - the team he was representing in the current season.
He was first selected on the national team in 1991 and was a member of Jamaica's historic Reggae Boyz team, which qualified for and contested the 1998 World Cup Tournament in France.
Prior to the 1998 World Cup, Malcolm, Durrent Brown, Warren Barrett and Whitmore were on their way to training when the Nissan car in which they were travelling was involved in an accident. All four were hospitalised. Incidentally, that crash site is approximately eight miles from last night's fatal accident scene.
President of the Jamaica Football Federation Captain Horace Burrell expressed shock at the death of the popular footballer last night.
Burrell said he was deeply saddened by the tragic death of the footballer. The JFF president, general secretary Horace Reid and technical director Clovis de Oliveira who were due in Britain today cancelled their flight late last night on hearing of Malcolm's death.
The JFF trio were hoping to get assurances that the players who are contracted to British clubs would be available for all World Cup qualifying matches.

©Copyright 2000 Gleaner Company Ltd.